Mechanical Engineer I - Temporary Full-time (40 hours per week)
The Mechanical Engineer I is a member of the Engineering team and is responsible for the layout and design of avionics equipment used in in-flight information systems, cabin management systems, display systems, and associated mechanical fixtures (fixed mounts, slide mounts, arms, etc.).
- Creates mechanical layouts and design concepts for new and legacy products using SolidWorks®.
- Works with hardware engineers to ensure proper placement and wiring of circuit card assemblies.
- Develops detailed fabrication and assembly drawings.
- Creates cable drawings and wiring schematics.
- Create BOMs, work instructions, test procedures and product specifications.
- Works with Prototype team to build product prototypes to validate designs.
- Generates engineering change notices (ECNs) and reviews the work of peers.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals within established engineering procedures.
- Able to work simultaneously on a variety of projects of varying complexity.
- Expected to operate with some degree of self-management, creativity and latitude.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology or similar discipline.
- Plus, a minimum of 2 to 4 years’ relevant experience to include 2 years of product design experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in the avionics industry preferred.
- Must be able to read, interpret, and create design documents, schematics and wiring diagrams
- Able to solve complex three-dimensional design problems
- Strong understanding of manufacturing requirements to launch products.
- Ability to troubleshoot design issues and product malfunctions on new and legacy products.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- This individual will be comfortable working in an organization where short decision-making cycles, decisiveness, and individual responsibility and accountability are expected and valued.
- SolidWorks® proficiency and practical work experience required. Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite of products; familiarity with MS Project helpful. AutoCAD® experience is a plus (for legacy product sustaining).
This position typically does not have supervisory responsibilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, see and hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Office-type environment with temperature control; may be exposed to chemicals related to office equipment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.